Effective November 1, 2014, more people will be able to take advantage of discounted taxi rides thanks to the expansion of RTC’s Washoe Senior Ride Program. Through this program, seniors may purchase coupons, called taxi bucks, to help cover the cost of taxi rides – this enables seniors to maintain their independence and mobility.
Who is eligible?
- Any Washoe County resident 60 years and older with annual household income under $45,000.
- Any RTC ACCESS client (any age) with annual household income under $45,000.
- Anyone already enrolled in WSR is eligible without re-applying.
- All Washoe County veterans regardless of age who meet the income requirement.
To enroll, apply in person at Washoe County Senior Services, 1155 East 9th Street, Reno. Phone 328-2575. Bring a photo ID, proof of age and Washoe County residency or your current RTC ACCESS ID card. You will be asked to sign a statement that your annual household income is less than $45,000. If approved, you will receive a customer number that is required when purchasing Taxi Bucks.
What are Taxi Bucks?
Taxi Bucks are coupons that look like $1.00 or $5.00 traveler’s checks, with signature and counter signature. They can be used alone or in combination with cash to pay part or all of WSR participants’ cab fares and tips.
Taxi Bucks are sold in books that are valid for 4 years. The book value is $20.00 but WSR participants purchase the books for $10.00 effective November 1, 2014.
After registering at the Washoe County Senior Center, program participants may purchase Washoe Senior Ride Taxi Bucks:
- From the RTC by mail using checks or money orders. Mail orders must include $1.00 per order for postage and handling. There is an order form in every book of Taxi Bucks. Send your order to PO Box 30002, Reno, NV 89520.
- At Washoe County Senior Services, 1155 East Ninth Street in Reno.
How do I use Taxi Bucks?
Call the taxi companies directly to schedule your rides, or hail a cab as you usually do. You can use Taxi Bucks to pay all or part of the fare and tip. No change is given for Taxi Bucks.
- Example: the fare is $10.35 and the tip is $1.00.You may pay with $10.00 in Taxi Bucks and $1.35 cash or any combination of Taxi Bucks and cash that equals $11.35.
- Example: the fare is $10.35 and the tip is $1.00. If you pay with $12.00 in Taxi Bucks (12 Taxi Bucks), you will not receive any change.
Sign each Taxi Buck at the time of use and expect taxicab drivers to check ID to verify that you are the Taxi Bucks purchaser.
What Else Should I Know?
- Taxi Bucks are not valid on RTC RIDE and/or RTC ACCESS.
- Purchases are limited to 1 or 2 books per person per month.
- No refunds for unused Taxi Bucks.
- Anyone abusing the program will be barred from participating for 1 year.
- Taxi Bucks may only be used by the registered WSR participants.
- Taxi Bucks cannot be shared or transferred.
Questions? Call 348-0477. The number is for RTC ACCESS customer service and Washoe Senior Ride information.