A third Teamsters Local 533 transit workers’ strike is now underway, affecting RTC’s RIDE fixed-route transit service. RTC will run contingency transit service, similar to what was done during the previous two strikes.
“I am very disappointed that a third strike is occurring. We are going to do everything we can to continue to get people where they need to go,” said RTC Executive Director Bill Thomas. “I ask for people’s patience as we try to respond to this situation as best we can in the current environment.”
For Frequently Asked Questions and answers about the strike, please visit this webpage.
To offset the disruption caused by the current strike, and potential future strikes, the RTC will be offering the services below for free whenever a strike is called by the Teamsters.
The following services will be free for the duration of the strike.
- Limited fixed-route transit service is running on some routes. Please check rtcwashoe.com for updates.
- Limited RTC FlexRIDE: Limited FlexRIDE service is available in RTC’s regular FlexRIDE zones and added contingency zones. Please see maps and hours of operation below. This service is limited on vehicles and drivers to operate the vehicles because of the regional labor shortage. Passengers should anticipate delays, leave plenty of time to get to their destination and to please be patient during the disruption of service. Please use the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app to book trips.
To help our transit passengers during the strike, the RTC has expanded hours for customer assistance:
- Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Please call RTC Customer Service at (775) 348-RIDE
- Monday – Friday, 6 – 8 a.m. and 5 – 8 p.m.: Please call (775) 335-0035 and staff will help you book a taxi.
For regular transit passengers who need transportation, the following services are also available free of charge.
- Taxi: Taxi service is available by calling the RTC at (775) 348-RIDE. The RTC will book the taxi trip for the customer. Passengers should anticipate delays due to regional driver labor shortages during the pandemic.
- UberX: UberX vouchers are available to regular transit riders. For information and to request a voucher call the RTC at (775) 348-0477. Passengers should anticipate delays due to regional driver labor shortages during the pandemic.
UberX program details:
- The RTC Washoe-Uber Emergency Rides voucher is valid for 10 Uber rides with a maximum of $20 per Uber ride. Any amount over $20 will be automatically charged to the user’s debit or credit card on file on their Uber account.
- Eligible rides can be taken 24/7.
- Vehicle type will apply only to UberX trips.
- Service area: Eligible trips must start and end in the Reno-Sparks area. Trips that begin or end outside of the service area are not eligible.
Customers who know they will need after-hours transportation service during the strike are encouraged to call RTC during business hours.
For updates during the strike, please check rtcwashoe.com.
FLEXRIDE TRANSIT SERVICE:
Scheduling a FlexRIDE is done by using the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app on your smartphone or tablet, or by calling a dispatcher at (775) 335-0035. Schedule your ride at your desired travel time, due to the current service disruption, please allow for increased wait times for pick-up and longer than normal drop-off times.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
- Open the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app to see which services are available in your area
- Input your destination and book a ride
- Download the new app in the App Store or Google Play
HOURS OF OPERATIONS:
Monday thru Friday 6 AM to 7 PM
All trips must be booked at least 15 minutes prior to the close of the hours of operations to ensure transportation.
Sparks Contingency Zone
Somersett – Verdi Contingency Zone
- The Somersett – Verdi FlexRIDE contingency service now includes a point of interest at 4th Street and Lake Street, across the street from RTC 4TH STREET STATION.
Sun Valley Contingency Zone
- Update: The FlexRIDE Sun Valley contingency zone now includes a point of interest at 4th Street and Lake Street, across the street from RTC 4TH STREET STATION.