UPDATE 10/19: The strike has ended. Limited service is resuming. For details about specific routes, please check https://www.rtcwashoe.com/public-transportation/ and click on Alerts, or call RTC Customer Service at (775) 348-RIDE. RIDE, FlexRIDE, and ACCESS transit services are free through November 19, 2021.
As the Teamsters Union drivers’ strike continues, the RTC is committed to helping transit passengers get where they need to go. The RTC cannot call or end a strike, but anticipates there could be additional future strikes as negotiations continue for the Collective Bargaining Agreement with RTC’s transit contractor, Keolis.
Additionally, in order to offset the disruption caused by the current strike, and potential future strikes, the RTC will be offering the services below for free whenever a strike is called by the Teamsters.
“The RTC Board is implementing free service and alternative transportation options to minimize the significant negative impacts caused by the disruption of service to our regular transit customers,” said RTC Board Chair and Reno City Council member Neoma Jardon.
The following services will be free for the duration of the strike.
- Limited fixed-route transit service is running on some routes. Please check rtcwashoe.com and click on alerts for updates.
- RTC FlexRIDE: FlexRIDE service is available in the existing FlexRIDE zones and in the contingency zones noted on maps provided at rtcwashoe.com, but this service is limited on vehicles and drivers to operate the vehicles as a result of the regional labor shortage due to the pandemic. Passengers should anticipate delays, leave plenty of time to get to their destination and to please be patient during the disruption of service. Please use the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app to book trips within the contingency zones. FlexRIDE contingency zones will operate Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. Use the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app to book, or call (775) 335-0035.
Passengers can call RTC Customer Service Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – noon and 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. for assistance.
To maximize the available transit and transportation options available during a disruption of service, RTC staff will coordinate available transit options within the location the transit rider is located. If the rider’s trip is within an area served by RTC RIDE and/or RTC FlexRIDE, RTC staff will help coordinate travel planning using these transit services. Taxi trips and UberX vouchers will supplement transportation options in areas not served by RTC RIDE or RTC FlexRIDE. For more information, please consult with RTC staff.
For regular transit passengers needing transportation, the following services are also available free of charge:
- UberX: UberX vouchers are available to regular transit riders. For information and to request a voucher call the RTC at (775) 348-0477, and press option 2. Passengers should anticipate delays due to regional driver labor shortages during the pandemic.
UberX program details:
- The RTC Washoe-Uber Emergency Rides voucher is valid for 2 Uber rides with a maximum of $20 per Uber ride. Any amount over $20 will be automatically charged to the user’s debit or credit card on file on their Uber account.
- Uber Vouchers will expire on October 31, 2021.
- Eligible rides can be taken 24/7.
- Vehicle type will apply only to UberX trips.
- Service area: Eligible trips must start and end in the Reno-Sparks area. Trips that begin or end outside of the service area are not eligible.
Customers who know they will need after-hours transportation service during the strike are encouraged to call RTC during business hours.
For updates during the strike, please check rtcwashoe.com.
FLEXRIDE TRANSIT SERVICE:
Scheduling a FlexRIDE is done by using the RTC Washoe FlexRIDE app on your smartphone or tablet, or by calling a dispatcher at (775) 335-0035. Schedule your ride at your desired travel time, due to the current service disruption, please allow for increased wait times for pick-up and longer-than-normal drop-off times.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
HOURS OF OPERATIONS:
Monday thru Friday 6 AM to 7 PM
All trips must be booked at least 15 minutes prior to the close of the hours of operations to ensure transportation.
Sparks Contingency Zone
Somersett – Verdi Contingency Zone
I-580 East Contingency Zone
Idlewild – Lakeside Contingency Zone