The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) of Washoe County, the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Reno/Sparks urbanized area, pursuant to federal law (23 USC 134), hereby provides the residents of this metropolitan area an opportunity to review and comment on Amendment No. 1 to the 2050 Regional Transportation Plan, and Amendment No. 5 to the Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2021-2025 Regional Transportation Improvement Program (RTIP).
The RTP is one of the most important transportation documents of the region containing all regionally significant transportation programs and projects through 2050, including but not limited to, streets and highways, public transportation, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and transportation system and demand management programs. Any street and highway or transit project proposed to be built with federal funds must be consistent with the 2050 RTP.
The FFY 2021-2025 RTIP is a five-year program of major state highway, regional road, transit, bicycle, and pedestrian projects for Washoe County. The RTIP represents a prioritized program directed at meeting Washoe County’s growing transportation needs while improving the region’s air quality, transportation efficiency, safety and mobility. The RTIP is required by federal regulation and serves as a useful tool in planning and programming transportation system improvements.
RTC staff is proposing Amendment No. 1 to the 2050 RTP to reflect the schedule change of the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) I-80 project of adding an auxiliary lane on eastbound I-80 from McCarran Blvd to Keystone Avenue. The project which was originally scheduled for 2040 is moved to the FFY 2023 for construction due to funding availability. View the proposed amendment at rtcwashoe.com.
Amendment No. 5 to the FFY 2021-2025 RTIP is required to add new projects, consolidate two projects into one, and to incorporate updates to existing projects already included in the RTIP. The amendment adds two new projects. The I-80 Keystone Ave Package 2, Phase 2B project, led by the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT), advances the timing of an improvement to I-80 originally identified in the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). This change to the project timeline and project characteristics met the threshold requiring an air quality analysis. The West 4th St Improvements – West McCarran Blvd to Vine St project, led by the RTC, is being added as a result of the availability of Federal safety funding and refines the scope of an existing project, the limits of which are Vine St to Evans Ave. Additionally, two projects are being consolidated to combine the design and construction phases. The Sierra St Bridge Replacement – Package 1 design phase is being added to the construction phase (Package 2) along with funding for right-of-way. Finally, the amendment includes updates to projects led by both RTC and NDOT. These updates include changes to funding sources, total funding, and project phases, as noted below. View the proposed amendments at rtcwashoe.com.
An air quality analysis for the I-80 project is required as it is a capacity project. An air quality conformity analysis was conducted as a part of the RTP amendment process. Based on existing and planned commitments, the air quality analysis demonstrates that the required air quality conformity determination can be made. The RTP is shown to be in conformance with federal air quality regulations. The Interagency Air Quality Consultation Group recommended approval of the air quality analysis on December 20, 2022.
A complete list of the projects included within this amendment, as well as a brief description of the changes to each project, are as follows:
- I-80 Keystone Package 2, Phase 2B – new project that adds auxiliary lane to eastbound I-80 from West McCarran Blvd to Keystone Ave
- West 4th St Improvements – West McCarran Blvd to Vine St – new project that makes safety, multimodal, and other improvements to West 4th St between West McCarran Blvd and Vine St
- Sierra St Bridge Replacement – Package 1 – project to be deleted with scope/funding incorporated into Sierra St Bridge Replacement – Package 2 project
- Sierra St Bridge Replacement – Package 2 – amended project that incorporates design phase/funding from Sierra St Bridge Replacement – Package 1 project, and adds right-of-way phase
- US 395, North Valleys, Golden Valley to Stead, Phase 2 – amended project that increases construction funding and adds recently awarded INFRA discretionary grant
- Sparks Blvd Corridor – Phase 2 – amended project that increases construction funding
- Pembroke Dr Capacity & Safety Project – amended project that adds construction phase
- South Virginia St & I-580 Exit 29 Capacity & Safety Project – amended project that adds construction phase
- US 395, North Valleys, McCarran to Golden Valley, Phase 1B – amended project that increases construction funding
Copies of Amendment No. 1 to the RTP and Amendment No. 5 to the FFY 2021-2025 RTIP are available for viewing and comment on the RTC website (www.rtcwashoe.com) starting on Friday, December 30, 2022, and ending on Thursday, January 19, 2023. A public hearing will be held for each document by the RTC Board on Friday, January 20, 2023, following the public comment period. Any comments received will be forwarded to the RTC Board.
Interested parties can send comments on the proposed amendment during the public review period to the following address by mail, telephone, facsimile, or electronically:
RTC Planning Offices
1105 Terminal Way, Suite 211, Reno, NV 89502