UPDATE 6/11/19: The California Ave./Keystone Ave. Intersection Enhancement project has a revised traffic plan to ease the impact of construction on the community.
- Starting Wednesday, June 12, 2019, at 6 a.m. through mid-July 2019, California Ave. will reopen to traffic in both directions in the construction zone.
- Booth Street will be closed in both directions from California Ave. to Foster Dr. during this same time period.
- Keystone Ave. will also remain closed to northbound traffic from Booth St. to Riverside Dr.
- Keystone Ave. will not be accessible from California Ave.
Detours will be in place during construction. For safety reasons, there is no pedestrian access through this intersection during construction, from Newlands Circle to Booth St.
In mid-July, the California Ave./Keystone Ave. intersection will return to a full closure so crews can finish construction before Reno High School is back in session.
Previous Press Release:
The Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) of Washoe County and Sierra Nevada Construction (SNC) are beginning construction on Monday, June 10, to improve the California Avenue/Keystone Avenue intersection. The intersection will close to traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians starting Monday, June 10 until mid-August. Detours will be in effect.
The project will improve safety and access for drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians at this busy intersection. In addition to traffic-safety improvements and new bike lanes, the RTC will widen sidewalks and add pedestrian ramps at the intersection to improve pedestrian safety and access for everyone in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The stairs connecting California Avenue to Keystone Avenue will also be reconstructed as part of the project.
Traffic will be detoured during the intersection closure.
- Traffic heading eastbound on California Avenue will be detoured at Booth Street to Riverside Drive or 1st
- Through traffic heading westbound on California Avenue will be detoured at Arlington Avenue to Riverside Drive or 1st California Avenue west of Arlington Avenue will be open to residential traffic only to Newlands Park.
- Keystone Avenue will be open to southbound traffic only between Booth Street and Riverside Drive.
The work is taking place during Reno High School’s summer break to ease the impact on commuters. Closing the intersection will allow crews to complete the work in half the time it would take if the intersection remained partially open.
Due to dangerous construction-zone conditions, the intersection will be closed during construction to all pedestrians, bicyclists and cars for the safety of the community and construction crews.
The project represents a $2.8 million investment in our community.
To learn more, visit rtcwashoe.com.