RTC Project No. 247005
RTC Project Manager (PM)
Andrew V. Jayankura, P.E., PTOE
RTC Engineering Department
(775) 348-0170 fax
Design Firm: In House / Local Agencies / UNR-CATER
Construction Constractor: N/A
The Signal Timing 5 project is the latest in a series of projects to help local agencies retime traffic signals in the region. The goal of the project is to time a 1/3 of the signals each year in three-year cycles. For 2019, the project is in its last year. It is planned that nine (9) corridors, roughly 100 intersections, will have new timing implemented. In the process, reevaluation of the clearance intervals and pedestrian crossing times will be performed at each intersection to comply with current standards. The project is funded through the Congestion Mitigation/Air Quality (CMAQ) program. The schedule of work for a typical corridor consists of the following:
• Collect traffic & signal data
• Input timings into model and evaluate existing signal timing
• Develop new timing and implement in the field
• Fine-tune timing, and conducting before-after studies.
The following is a tentative list for new timing to be implemented in 2019:
• Moana Ln (4 Signals) – Kietzke Ln to Neil Rd
• Plumb Ln (4 Signals) – Kietzke Ln to Terminal
• Isolated Intersections (111 signals left) – Various Signals in the Region
Sutro St (12 Signals) – Ryland Ave to E 9th St, including: Kuenzli/Locust, 2nd/Manuel, Ryland/Locust, Ryland/Mill – New Timing to be tested/fine-tuned in October.
S Virginia St (13 Signals) –Meadowood Mall Wy to SB I-580 off-ramp (by In-n-Out) – New Timing Under Fine-Tuning.
Oddie Blvd (9 Signals) – New Timing under development.
Completed Corridors as of August 2019
• Vista Blvd (9 Signals) – EB I-80 to S Los Altos Blvd
• Wells Ave (8 Signals) – Ryland Ave to E 9th St
• Sparks Blvd (9 Signals) – EB I-80 to N Los Altos Blvd
• N McCarran Blvd (7 Signals) – Sutro St to Sullivan Ln
• Clear Acre Ave (4 Signals) – N McCarran Blvd to Scottsdale Rd
• Kietzke Ln (8 Signals) – 2nd St to Peckham Ln
• Mill St (4 Signals) – Kietzke Ln to Terminal Way
• W McCarran Blvd (8 Signals) – Plumb Ln to W 7th St
• Mae Anne Ave (3 Signals) – W. McCarran Blvd to Sierra Highlands
•S McCarran Blvd (23 Signals) – (Greensboro to Mill St) Kietzke Ln (S Virginia St to Sierra Rose), Virginia St (Kietzke Ln to S McCarran Blvd), and Peckham Ln & Longley Ln intersection.
• Pyramid Way (13 Signals) – Nugget Ave to Lazy 5, including McCarran Blvd @ Rock & 4th.
• Downtown Reno (45 Signals)
• Damonte Ranch Pkwy (7 Signals) – Double R Blvd to Zolezzi Ln
• Keystone Ave (7 Signals) – W 7th St to W 1st St
• Rock Blvd (9 Signals) – Greg St to Prater Way.
• North Downtown Area Signals (8 Signals) – Maple St, 8th St., 9th St
• Spanish Springs Isolation Signals (13 Signals)
• Sun Valley Blvd (6 Signals) – El Rancho/Dandini to 7th Ave.
• Prater Way (8 Signals) – Galletti Way to 12th St
• Sparks Isolated Intersections (27 Signals) – Various Locations
• Damonte/Steamboat (4 Signals) – From Damonte/Promenade to Veterans/Steamboat
• Keystone/California Area (3 Signals)
• E McCarran Blvd (13 Signals) – Glendale Ave to Probasco Wy
Total Signals Re-Timed: 259
Preliminary Design: On going
Final Design: On going
Construction: Spring 2017 to winter 2019
Total Project Estimate: $1,000,000
Amount Approved: $1,000,000
Funding Source: Congestion Mitigation Air Quality (CMAQ), RTC Fuel Tax
Post updated on: November 22, 2019