I-580 / Meadowood
I-580 / Meadowood Complex Improvement Project Description (PDF)
Click on the Preliminary Design Map below to enlarge any section of the study area.
Enlarge entire map
Click to enlarge the Project Overview
The Regional Transportation Commission of Washoe County (RTC), in partnership with the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) and the City of Reno and in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), is improving the Interstate-580 (I-580) interchange access between the South Virginia Street southbound ramp (Exit 63) and Neil Road (Exit 62). The project is located entirely within the City of Reno.
Construction will begin in summer 2010 and continue for approximately 24 to 30 months.
Monthly Status Report: Click "Congestion Relief Projects"
Project Description & Purpose
This project will reconfigure the existing I-580 Interchange at Neil Road to a split diamond, which will improve the flow of traffic in a critical commercial area in the southwest Truckee Meadows by:
- Constructing a new bridge structure and extending Meadowood Mall Way under the freeway mainline to connect with Kietzke Lane
- Widening bridge structures at South Virginia Street and South McCarran Boulevard
- Eliminating the existing southbound off-ramp and northbound on-ramp at Neil Road
- Construction of a new southbound off-ramp and northbound on-ramp at Meadowood Mall Way with frontage roads to connect to the southbound on-ramp and northbound off-ramp at Neil Road.
The project vicinity contains several large commercial/retail centers which draw traffic. These centers and the growth occurring and planned in the South Truckee Meadows and Reno/Sparks generate the purpose and need
- To provide additional freeway access between I-580 and regional commercial/retail hub within project vicinity
- To reduce traffic volumes at the South Virginia freeway ramps and at the intersection of South McCarran and South Virginia
- To improve traffic circulation at several key intersections in the project area, including South McCarran/South Virginia; Kietzke/South McCarran; South Virginia/Meadowood Mall Way; I-580 Ramps/Neil Road.