RTC SMART TRIPS
Program information for businesses (PDF format)
Program information for individuals (PDF format)
Watch the RTC SMART TRIPS video "Small Change, Big Impact"
The following local and national facts reinforce the importance of participating in the Smart Trips program.
Today in the Truckee Meadows
- On any given day, vehicles emit 310 tons of pollution into the air
- Residents travel more than 7 million miles per day
- The typical resident makes eight motor vehicle trips a day, generally to run errands
During the next 20 Years in Washoe County
- The population is expected to grow 40%
- The work force is expected to increase 45%
- Motor vehicle use is projected to increase 15%
- During the next 20 years, congestion will increase more than 400% on the nation's freeway system
- In the average American city, 40% of the land is used for automobiles
- A bus with as few as seven passengers is more fuel-efficient than the average single occupant auto used for commuting
- A single person commuting via transit instead of driving alone will save 200 gallons of gasoline in a year
- Transit uses less than one percent of the energy consumed in the U.S.
- Cars release up to 90% of the carbon monoxide found in urban areas. Carbon monoxide restricts the blood's capacity to transport oxygen to tissues, resulting in dizziness, loss of coordination, and possible death
- One person using mass transit for a year instead of driving to work saves the environment 62.5 pounds of carbon monoxide
- Cars pollute the air five times more after a cold start than after a car is warmed up
If you are interested in becoming an RTC SMART TRIPS partner or would like additional information, please contact us at 775-335-1920 or Contact Us by email.
RTC SMART TRIPS is a free service provided by the RTC to assist local businesses to encourage employees to use alternative modes of transportation.