Getting on the Bus
Please remember boarding is allowed only at designated bus stops. Double-sided blue and white RTC RIDE signs are posted at all designated stops. Passenger shelters are provided at many locations and solar-powered bus stops are being tested at selected stops. Make sure to be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes before the scheduled stop. Stand up when the bus approaches and look for the route number and destination sign above the windshield.
- Wave with your palm facing the bus to stop the bus.
- Wave with your palm facing the ground to let the bus pass.
- After dark, you may wish to signal the driver with a flashlight.
- Always feel free to confirm with the driver that you are boarding the correct bus.
- Be ready to board with the correct fare.
If You Get on the Wrong Bus
Tell the driver that you are on the wrong bus and ask for assistance. The driver will give you directions or call for a supervisor to assist you.
For your safety, please remain seated throughout your trip. When it is time to get off the bus, please stay in your seat until the bus comes to a complete stop. If the bus is crowded and you have to stand, move as far to the rear of the bus as possible and hold on to the handrails. Please remember, the front seats are reserved for senior citizens and people with disabilities.
For the Safety and Comfort of All Passengers, We Require That You . . .
- Please respect the property and privacy of our neighbors and use trash cans where available at bus stops
- Do not smoke, eat or drink aboard the bus or in bus stop shelters
- Do not eat or drink aboard the bus
- Walk, do not run on the bus or anywhere on RTC facilities (such as RTC 4TH STREET STATION or around bus stops)
- Wear shirts and shoes
- Keep your arms inside the bus and feet on the floor while riding
- Keep bus aisles clear of packages, carriages, etc.
- Keep seats clean and place all trash in trash cans
- Use earphones to listen to your radio/audio device
- Do not cause disruptive behavior or use foul language. Please report any individual who harasses or threatens you or another passenger
- Do not cross in front or behind the bus; wait for the bus to pull away before crossing the street
- Do not attempt to board a bus which has pulled away from the curb; drivers are not allowed to return to the curb once they depart
- Please report any person who vandalizes RTC property
- Assaulting a driver is a federal offense and felony. Assault includes the threat of physical violence, spitting, and throwing objects. Onboard cameras may be used to prosecute offenders
Restictions on Carry-on Items
Leaving the Bus
RTC RIDE buses stop only at designated bus stops. If you’re not sure where your stop is, ask the driver to call it out. To signal the bus to stop, simply press the black or yellow tape beside the window or use the pull cord. Signal about one block before your stop to give the driver enough time to react to your request. The driver will pull over at the next stop. If the driver is unable to stop in time or it is unsafe to stop, he will continue to the next designated bus stop and let you off there. Wait until the bus has come to a complete stop before standing to exit.